Monday, June 16, 2014

Fieldwork #4 Reflection

Fieldwork #4 Reflection


Throughout my observations for this semester and the previous, I had the privilege to work with the students on a one on one basis. The students were eager to learn about me since I was there last semester and they wanted to know what more I had done in my school studies.

The classroom that I observed is an Integrated Co-Teaching setting (ICT) where there is one general Ed teacher and one Special Ed Teacher. I particularly favor this model of teaching because it allows students from varying abilities to co-mingle in one setting. What makes the model successful is the collaboration embedded within. Success is measured by the working relationship of the co-teachers.

Why do I mention this? Without a successful collaboration within the teaching environment, student needs will hardly be met. During my observations from the past two semesters, one can get a sense of feel for the classroom just by sitting in the classroom for a day or two. You learn who needs guidance and who likes to be independent. You learn who is the social butterfly and who is the class helper. You find out who is the shy one and who is the most outspoken.

A good teacher will learn who the students are in the first meeting and put that in their toolbox. You 

No comments:

Post a Comment